My daughter and I are heading off on a trip to visit some dear friends on the East Coast tomorrow and since packing is fresh on my mind (and to-do list still, ack) I thought I’d show you what I’ve come to rely upon as my “in-flight travel essentials.” I’m sure you have things on your own list that are different from mine, and I’m ever so curious. Wanna share yours? Maybe you’ll give me a new “must have” to bring along and make the trip comfortable.
Click on the links to visit each shop / hover over numbers for product names + prices:
My Travel Essentials:
- A cardigan or light jacket | I am forever cold, and I’d rather have the option to take something off (hey you can even use it as a pillow) than sit with teeth chattering and goosebumps raised for hours on end.
- A comfortable “lived-in” top | the last thing I want to be thinking about while strapped into a seat for 5 hours are uncomfortable seams, buttons debossing their shape into my abdomen, or scratchy fabric.
- A stylish watch | Points for style and practicality. It’s amazing how much it helps your overall travel mood to wear even one piece that makes you feel moderately put together. Plus you’re already wearing one of your accessories, so you can use that room in your suitcase to pack something extra in its place!
- My favorite jeans | I’m sure there are more comfortable fabrics to jet across the States in, but the psychological comfort they bring me (like an old blankie) more than makes up for it. Plus, if your suitcase doesn’t make it on the other end, at least you will still have one thing with you that you love!
- My iPad Mini | I don’t really know how I previously survived travel without my little techie friend. My daughter and I both use it for games, drawing, and I also like to load it up with a couple great books to get lost in. Unfortunately for this trip I have no idea what to read, so I really need your help! I’m thinking that I’d like to read something suspenseful, dramatic, and / or dystopian/post-apocalyptic (you know…cheery stuff like that). Pretty please save me from countless hours of in-flight boredom by sharing your recommendations in the comments section for me. I will be so thankful!
- Water | The second I make it through security I grab an overpriced bottle of water for my trip. I don’t generally drink too much while flying, but as soon as I land I like to hydrate immediately to help minimize headaches and make me feel half-human again.
- Snacks | I’ve been told that my snacking habits are similar to that of a squirrel or mouse, and that’s a fair comparison. I pretty much always have a snack in hand or nearby. So it goes without saying that I travel with a hefty stock of goodies (both the more healthful kind…and the chocolatey and sweet variety too).
- A big ol’ bag | My go-to faux leather duffel tote isn’t as chic as this one (I’m thinking I might need an upgrade soon) but it has been one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. I love that it fits everything, slides under the seat in front of me, and still looks good while doing it all. Bonus…you have a great shopping bag to use during your vacation!
- Large scarf | Scarves are magical. You can use them to create a cozy little hood that will cocoon you from the rest of the plane while you sleep (then you don’t have to worry about your mouth hanging open if you doze off), they can serve as a blanket or shawl if the temperature of the plane is set to iceberg level, and I’ve even had a scarf save me from a serious wardrobe malfunction. I never travel without one.
- Comfortable shoes that stay on | I’ve worn flats plenty of times, but the last time I had to run to make a connection and had to keep stopping every time my shoe flew off, I swore off wearing them during travel for good. Now I never travel without my favorite suede Petty boots. I’ve had them for about three years now, and love them more and more every time I wear them. They’re comfortable, chic enough to dress up (or down), and bonus…the zipper in the back makes them a breeze to slip on and off during security screenings!
- Socks | On long flights, I always take off my shoes and try to make myself feel a tad more comfortable by slipping on a pair of cozy socks. Does the trick every time!
- Baggu Zipper Bags | I use these to keep snacks, toiletries, etc. separate from one another in my large bag so that they are easy to access.
- Drawing Pad & Pencil | So I can sketch up new ideas if inspiration strikes.
After tomorrow (I have a DIY I’ll be sharing), I’ll be away from CC for a short break. If you’d like to keep up with me while I’m away you will find me on Instagram: @creaturecomforts. Will you come keep me company? See you all again soon! xo Ez
P.S. Don’t forget to leave your favorite book recommendations below. I’m counting on you!