Hello lovelies. I thought I’d share a little tutorial with you for these simple and sweet Fabric Scrap Gift Tags. They are such a great way to give new life to any fabric bits and pieces you have laying around that you just can’t throw away. I started making these a while ago as a way to display fabric clippings on my inspiration wire and they always make me smile. It would be easy to whip up a batch to keep on hand for gift wrapping…or perhaps you might assemble a special box filled with the tags you create and give them to someone who loves beautiful packaging supplies.
- Fabric scraps in various sizes and patterns (light-weight woven fabrics work best). For this project, fabrics in lighter colors should be used.
- Manila hang tags – found at office supply stores (alternately you can use my free printable version found here).
- Glue Stick such as Uhu brand (I do not recommend liquid glue for this project)
- Pinking shears (optional)
- Fine tip permanent pen in a dark color such as black (optional – used for creating faux stitches)
- Printable Word Labels (click to download)
Step 1: Cut out fabric slightly smaller than the size of your tags. Your edges don’t need to be perfectly straight. Finish the fabric pieces by trimming around them with a pair of pinking shears or pulling out a few loose threads on all four sides of your fabric to give the edge a vintage frayed look.
Step 2: Using your glue stick apply glue to the surface of your tag. Adhere your fabric to the tag and press down to smooth and secure.
Step 3 (optional): Create faux stitches on your fabric using your fine tip permanent pen. This is not necessary but may add a little extra something to your tags.
Step 4 (optional): Download and print the Word Labels created for this project. Cut out around each word as desired and glue onto fabric tags to complete. All finished!
More ideas for your tags:
- Print your own word labels to customize as you wish
- Use as seating tags for parties or weddings
- Hang tags on bins and containers to add some charm to organization
- Use as “business cards” for your indie business
- Clip on to inspiration wires/boards for everyday enjoyment
- Use in your next scrapbooking project
I hope you’ll give this wee project a try and let me know how you like it. Enjoy! xo Ez