A few months ago I spotted several different sizes of mini chalkboards at my local craft store and knew I had to find a use for them. After thinking about it for a bit I decided to try my hand at adding a little decorative border to the boards using Sharpie brand Paint Pens. They were incredibly easy to make and the results were really cute. I used one as a gift already and have others set aside for use as photo props and impromptu art frames.
If you want to give this project a go, here’s what you’ll need:
- Mini Chalkboards (the ones I used ranged in size from about 5×7 to 7×10). If you can’t find them in your local craft store they can also be purchased affordably right here.
- Acrylic paint or stain for the wood frame (optional). I left mine bare.
- Sharpie brand paint pens in desired colors (found at your local craft store). I used white, but there are a lot of options to choose from. Be sure to choose the water based variety – not oil based.
- Chalk (optional). A nice add-on for gift giving purposes.
Creating your board:
Follow the manufacturer’s directions for prepping your pen. Using only a little bit of pressure (you don’t want the ink to leak out) begin applying your design. I chose a simple border of tiny dots for one side and a decorative looped design on the other. Don’t worry about making it “perfect.” The charm of this project lies in its imperfections. Allow the ink to dry completely, and you’re done!
- These boards could be used in a charming way at a handmade wedding. Be creative!
- Use your paint pens to write a permanent message or quote on your board (i.e. Please remove your shoes, or any other sentiment you’d like). The ink really pops against the black of the board.
- Using hot glue, add small wooden clothespins to the wood frame to create a message center for writing notes and clipping ideas.
- For gift giving – tie your board up with a pretty ribbon…be sure to include some chalk.
Enjoy! xo Ez