For day six of our 18 Day Series, lovely jewelry designer Rebekah put together this great tutorial showing us how to make these fabulous ruffled necklaces. Make one for yourself and/or as gifts for your girlfriends. Perfect!
Here’s more from Rebekah: These fun ruffle necklaces are a super great way to use up any vintage or extra fabric you have on hand as well as any old jewelry or buttons from your stash. I used chain on this particular necklace but feel free to experiment with ribbon instead, these pieces are all one of a kind and make such a fun statement especially for the holiday season! *For personal use only, please do not reproduce this project for profit..you’re the best.
- a strip of three and a half inch wide fabric
- sewing machine
- 20 gauge wire
- chain jump rings and clasp for the closure
- any buttons, ribbon, brooches to embellish your piece
- needle and thread
1. First you need to cut a strip of fabric approx. 3″ wide, the length will vary depending on the weight and how “full” you want your ruffle to be. I usually just trim the strip down as I go.
2. Iron your strip in half with the right side facing out.
3. next your are going to sew a 1/4″ straight stitch along the folded end of your fabric.
4. Make sure you sew along the folded side, you are creating a sleeve for the wire.
5. Now you need to get our your wire and cut a piece approx. 12″ in length. You will need to make a wire wrapped loop with one end of the wire. If you do not know how to make a wire wrapped loop check out my friend Lindsay’s amazing tutorial here on the Fusion Beads website.
6. after you have wire wrapped one end of your wire, begin feeding the other end into the sleeve of the strip of fabric you have created.
7. continue until you have reached the desired rufflyness trimming off any excess fabric.
8. wire wrap the second end of the wire.
9. your pendant is now complete! At this point go ahead and add any chain, beads or ribbon that you want for the closure.
10. On my pendant I added a 3″ piece of red velvet ribbon and a cameo button to make it festive.
11. fold the ribbon in half and with your needle and thread sew it onto your ruffle pendant.
12. when you are finished sewing on the ribbon, add your button..
Congratulations your ruffle necklace is finished!! now wrap it up and give it to your BFF or maybe your Sister like I did with this one. Have a great time making these sweet pieces and Merry Christmas! xo
Thank you for sharing such a wonderful project with us Rebekah! To see more from Rebekah visit her: