Hello lovelies! For day five of our 18 Day Series I put together a simple little tutorial for these sweet D.I.Y. Acorn-topped Ornaments. My daughter and I collected the acorn tops at a local park a few weeks ago, but if acorns are not readily available in your area you should be able to pick some up online. I spotted some on etsy (right here), or a search on ebay for acorn tops should yield some results too. This project is very simple to create and would make a great little gift or look perfect topping your holiday gifts!
- Acorn Tops/Caps with stems attached (dried…not fresh)
- Unfinished wooden beads (available at craft supply stores or online – select a size that fits your acorn caps)
- Hot glue gun with hot glue sticks
- Fine-tipped permanent pen
- Colored pencil – pink (optional)
- Twine (I used Red + White Baker’s Twine for mine).
- Gather your supplies (listed above). Plug your glue gun in (be sure to place something beneath it to catch any dripping glue).
- Draw a face on your wooden bead using your fine-tipped permanent pen. You can also add fun features such as glasses, facial hair, etc. Allow ink to dry for a minute or two.
- (optional) Add “blush” to your ornament’s cheeks using a pink colored pencil. Smudge gently with your fingertip to soften.
- Affix your acorn top to your wooden bead using a dab of hot glue inside the cap. Please use caution when gluing, as hot glue guns can easily burn you. Allow glue to set (this will only take a moment)
- Select the length of twine that you’d like for your ornament. Place a small dab of glue at the base of the stem (on the acorn cap) and carefully secure the center point of your twine into the hot glue. Wrap twine around the stem several times making sure that the glue is attaching to the twine as you wrap. Double knot to secure. Allow glue to set.
- Tadda! You just make a cute little Acorn-Topped Ornament!
If you’d like, you can also try adding some sparkle to your finished piece! Follow the directions above for the basic ornament design, and then finish by coating acorn cap in craft glue and dusting with glitter. Tap excess glitter off and allow to dry.
I hope you will have fun making these little cuties! xox Ez